2021-2022 Graduate Catalog w/ May Addendum 
    Jul 23, 2024  
2021-2022 Graduate Catalog w/ May Addendum [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


The University has a centralized Admissions Office to serve all prospective student applicants - undergraduate, graduate and non-degree. This centralized structure honors the University’s commitment to lifelong learning and to offer a more fluid and comprehensive service for those seeking access to a quality educational experience.


Graduate Philosophy  

Doctorate Philosophy   


Admission Process and Requirements

Graduate Admissions Process and Requirements  

Doctorate Admissions Process and Requirements  


International Students

An international student planning to attend the University on a student (F-1) visa must satisfy the appropriate admissions requirements and procedures, demonstrate proficiency in the English language, and provide an affidavit of financial support (bank statement of $26,500 USD or affidavit of support if applicable; applicants with dependents and children must show additional financial support of $5,000 for a spouse, and $2,500 per child).

Academic records should include courses studied, grades earned, diplomas, certificates, and results of comprehensive national examinations. International students must request an evaluation of their international transcripts through the World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) to determine authenticity and degree

A demonstration of English language proficiency is required of any student who is not a United States citizen. Acceptable demonstrations would include one of the following:

  • completing a college degree program from a regionally accredited United States institution of higher education,
  • scoring above average on the Analytical Writing section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE),
  • earning a TOEFL score of 80 or higher on the web-based version, 200 on the computer version, or 520 on the paper version; or
  • earning an IELTS score of 6.0 or higher.

Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students.

This approval allows an international student to apply for entry into the United States for study on an F-1 visa only after a complete application package is received an “Affidavit of Financial Support” is deemed sufficient by the University. HU requires a tuition deposit payment of at least $1,000 toward the first semester’s tuition to issue an I-20. The SEVIS I-901 fee of $350 is then paid by the student directly to SEVIS prior to attending a Consulate visit for the F1 visa.

Following entry into the United States and arrival at the University, the student will be required to provide a copy of the passport, I-20, and I-94 arrival/departure record all identification information in SEVIS. An international student is obligated to notify HU should their status change during enrollment from F-1 to any other immigration status. HU will revocate a student’s I-20 for failure to remain eligible as required by the terms of the F-1 visa.

An international student does not qualify for Federal or State financial aid. Private education loans through participating lenders may be available, if eligible.

If a student is transferring a SEVIS, it must arrive one day prior to the start of the semester. Otherwise, Registration will withdraw the student from classes and defer the student to the subsequent semester. Submit an online SEVIS transfer recommendation request at http://www.HarrisburgU.edu/SEVISTransfer

It is imperative that the student contact the International Student Office at the SEVP-certified institution where the student’s SEVIS record currently resides.  The student must notify a DSO/ International Student Advisor at their current school and let them know that the student would like to have their SEVIS record transferred to HU. Every school has its own way of processing such requests, so the student should abide by their school’s policy when requesting to be transferred out. The student will need to provide a copy of their HU letter of acceptance to the International Student Advisor at their current school and let them know that they will be receiving an electronic transfer form via email.

Masters Non-Degree Students

Masters Non-Degree Status Admission Process and Policies  



Graduate Readmission  

Doctorate Readmission