2021-2022 Graduate Catalog w/ May Addendum 
    Mar 01, 2024  
2021-2022 Graduate Catalog w/ May Addendum [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Applied Studies for International Students on F1 Visa

The doctorate program at Harrisburg University includes learning components (coursework, seminars, research), and may include fieldwork that can contribute to the student’s knowledge in the program of study.

Ph.D. programs at HU recognize the crucial connection between industry/business and research/ development. Scholarly research in the STEM fields cannot be disconnected from those practitioners innovating in their fields. Therefore, Ph.D. students who are practitioners in their field are highly sought at HU. The expectation is that the active synergy between research and practice in applied studies will go far in solving the worlds challenges through the STEM disciplines.

In order to remove limits and borders for recruiting professional practitioners into the HU PhD programs, HU will approve Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for F1 students who are able to integrate professional experience into the learning environment of their PhD program, meeting the expectation of applied studies during the coursework phase of the program.

With the required approval of the university and benefitted industry parties, doctoral candidates at HU are able to develop their own individual study/research plan with faculty advisors on topics of their choice. Candidates may choose where they would like to conduct their research at

  • Harrisburg University laboratory or at a partnering research institutional laboratory
  • A non-academic research center/organization or industry/workplace (which requires approval of industry partners)

Applied Studies for International Students on F1 Visas

If applied studies or employment-based research are an integral component of a chosen Doctorate degree program, non-immigrant students on a valid F1 visa and otherwise maintaining status may be authorized for periods of Curricular Practical Training (CPT). CPT is defined by the federal government as an alternative work-study, internship, cooperative education employment, or other type of internship or practicum that is an integral part of an established curriculum.

An F1 student must be authorized by one of HU’s Designated School Officials (DSO) prior to accepting and beginning a professional field placement. For more information on how to apply and when to apply, students should contact the International Student Office (ISO). Students are cautioned to take note: There are SEVP regulations related to off campus employment and training experiences. Failure to maintain status will jeopardize F1 standing and will result in revocation of the I-20. HU’s DSOs can point students to resources to help them meet goals without jeopardizing F1 status.

A student’s CPT internship experience or employment must relate to the program of study and may be part-time (20 or fewer hours per week) or full-time (21-40 hours per week). HU allows the period of eligible CPT employment to be extended through the short breaks between semesters if the student is pre-registered for the immediate next semester of enrollment and the next immediate semester includes a period of continued required field experience. HU limits CPT employment to no more than 40 hours per week and expects academics to be prioritized. CPT may not continue through semester-long breaks.

A doctoral student who completes all coursework and enters the thesis/dissertation phase of the program may be considered for CPT if the work experience is clearly documented as necessary for the completion of the thesis or dissertation.