Biotechnology is a multi-disciplinary program that incorporates the foundations of biology, microbiology, genetics, molecular biology, and chemistry. Biotechnology focuses on the manipulation of living organisms, their products, and their processes to further knowledge, improve quality of life and engineer new tools and applications. Biotechnology is applied to a broad range of industries including the pharmaceutical, chemical, agricultural, food development and manufacturing, to name but a few. Biotechnology has impacted significantly in the fields of medicine, health, environment and new technology and will continue to do so far into the future.
Graduates of the Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology program are able to:
- Demonstrate a broad range of basic laboratory skills and technical competencies applicable to the field of biotechnology and to the workplace;
- Develop a broad understanding of foundational concepts, mechanisms and principles which can be applied across the fields of applied biotechnology, molecular and microbial biotechnology, food biotechnology, and nanotechnology;
- Demonstrate scientific reasoning and critical thinking skills including the ability to evaluate and integrate multiple sources of information, recognize problems, evaluate data, and draw conclusions;
- Model independent and collaborative work environments in the classroom, the laboratory, the field, and the workplace;
- Demonstrate the successful ability to communicate scientific information to a variety of audiences and incorporate multiple modes of technology to achieve that goal; and,
- Connect the classroom to the world of work through multi-modal and interdisciplinary learning experiences.
ProgramsBachelor of Science
- Biotechnology, Food Safety and Quality Assurance Concentration, B.S.
- Biotechnology, General Biotechnology Concentration, B.S.
- Biotechnology, Medical Biotechnology Concentration, B.S.
- Biotechnology, Nanobiotechnology and NanoFabrication Concentration, B.S.
- Biotechnology, Nanobiotechnology Concentration, B.S.
- Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical Design Concentration, B.S.